26 Sept 2009

Parma ham and Parmesan cheese soup

Parma ham and  parmesan soup

My 96 years old grandma is very sick, and at this age we don’t have great hopes

about her recuperation, so, I can’t see myself writing about food or even taken pictures in the next days. I know that you understand my mood. Meanwhile I let you this recipe that I made a couple of days ago for dinner I hope you enjoy it.

Parma ham and parmesan cheese soup

Ingredients:

  • 8 cups water
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 3 medium white onions
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1-1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup Parma ham cute in dices

Heat the water to boiling in a large pan. Add the wine.

Cut the onions into thin slices, and then quarter the slices. Add to the water and wine.

Add salt & pepper.

Bring the mixture back to boiling, then turn the heat down and simmer, uncovered. While stirring briskly, sift the flour into the soup. Continue to stir if any large lumps of flour develop. Be careful when you stir; a whisk will help. As the soup continues to cook, any lumps should dissolve.

After 30 minutes of additional simmering, add the cream and 1 cup parmesan cheese.

Continue to simmer the soup for 5 to 10 minutes

Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and Parma ham, Serve

AddThis Social Bookmark ButtonBookmark and Share

12 comments:

Ginny said...

aw! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother... what a comforting soup...

Adi said...

Hola Silvia, lamento oir sobre el estado de tu abuela, y por supuesto todas vamos a comprender que tu estado de ánimo no sea muy alegre estos días... gracias de todas formas por la receta, parece una sopa deliciosa y reconfortante.

Mis mejores deseos. Un abrazo.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm sorry to hear that.
Your soup looks really comforting..

Erica said...

Yo amo las sopas!!!!!!Esta se ve deliciosa. Fanatastic recipe:)

lisa (dandysugar) said...

Oh, I sending my thoughts to you Sylvia. The soup looks like a perfect warm and comforting meal.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Beautiful picture. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

La cuina vermella said...

Mucha fuerza querida Silvia. Un beso bien grande para ti y tu família.

Manggy said...

Sorry to hear that Sylvia- my thoughts go out to your family.

Chef Fresco said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. Soup is a good comforting meal.

lisaiscooking said...

Delicious soup, the broth sounds lovely. So sorry about your grandmother. Take all the time you need.

Cynthia said...

Oh, I know that that soup is outstandingly flavourful!

Laurie said...

I look forward to seeing all your Fall and Winter creations.. because this looks and sounds perfect!